Are you searching for some pro blogging tips to take your website to the next level?
No matter if you’re a new blogger, or a seasoned website owner, there are several effective strategies that you can use to grow your online business. As someone who has been blogging since 2010, I’ve learnt many things, including the best ways to get your website seen, and monetized.
Here, you’ll discover:
- 8 pro blogging tips to make a bigger impact in the online world
- Why you need to have patience when growing a blog
- Why you shouldn’t go all in on Amazon affiliate marketing
- Is affiliate marketing a pyramid scheme?
- The future of blogging
- SEO daily tasks checklist: 10 things to monitor
8 Pro Blogging Tips to Take Your Website to The Next Level
Mindset is everything
Before you even start contemplating what needs to be done to improve your website, it’s essential that you get into the right mindset.
Mindset is one of the most important pro blogging tips since it’ll determine whether you stick with working on your website or not.
What does that mean? That means starting to think about your website in terms of a business, and yourself as an online business owner.
Your website is digital real estate – it’s a piece of the internet that you can sell later down the line. It doesn’t even need to be making money to sell. I’ve sold a ‘starter’ website (a blog that had a couple of blog posts on it) for a couple of hundred dollars!
To get into the mindset of a business owner, consider the following:
- Put your audience at the forefront of your website – know who you are serving and what you can do to provide maximum value to them. Once you know this, you can begin to create actionable content for your readers and they’ll keep coming back because they know your content has value for them.
- Challenges help you to grow – think of problems as a learning experience. It can be disheartening to suffer from setbacks but overcoming these will assist you in the long run. Nothing is ever perfect despite what you might see on social media. Once you get into the mindset of not being defeated by challenges, you’re more likely to succeed.
- Start somewhere – as I said, nothing is perfect and you don’t have to have the perfect blog design or blog post to grow your blog. As you grow, you can continue to tweak your website and improve it. All websites started somewhere and where you are now isn’t where your blog will be in a couple of years down the line.
You need to have patience
Like any business, building a website and audience takes time, especially if you’re a new blogger. It can be frustrating to put out content and not see progress being made. However, if you’re consistent and keep taking action, you WILL start to see some results.
My pro blogging tip is to only focus on one thing at once while you’re still in the new phases of growing a website. It can be tempting to focus on social media, but putting out quality content should be your priority in the first few months.
Once you’re starting to grow your readership, you can begin to focus on social media and monetization.
Start your email list ASAP
If there’s one piece of advice I’d give to new bloggers, it’s to start building an email list as soon as possible. There’s a good reason why many marketers say that the money is in the list – you 100% own your email list and it’s not subject to algorithms.
Once you start building an email list, you can begin to promote affiliate offers, sell your own products, and more.
I plan on making some free training on how to build your list – I’ll add the link here once it’s ready!
Avoid going all in on Amazon Affiliate Program
Many people create websites with the intention of solely promoting Amazon products.
I understand why – it’s easy to get into the affiliate program and you can start promoting via your blog content right away.
To be honest, I’m not a fan of Amazon affiliate sites and it’s a strategy I would never use myself. Here’s the thing – when you’re solely focused on Amazon affiliate posts, you’re at the mercy of using ONE affiliate program.
Amazon commissions are pretty dire – plus, you can’t promote products via email too, so you’re already at a disadvantage.
My advice is to look for affiliate programs with better commissions. It may take longer for you to start earning money, but in the long run, you’ll be much better off!
I also suggest looking for ways to monetize your site via digital products too, including ebooks, workshops, templates, courses etc, which leads me nicely to my next point on this list of pro blogging tips.
Think outside the box when it comes to blog monetization
When you think of ways to monetize a blog, ads and affiliate revenue are probably the first things that come to mind.
The problem with these methods is that you need a large audience to make money. Ad networks require a specific number of sessions, while you’ll need to be getting traffic for people to click through and purchase from your affiliate links.
The good news is that there are endless ways to monetize your website, even if you’re a new blogger.
Once you start getting traffic to your blog, think about what you can offer to your target audience. Here are some examples to inspire you:
- A fashion blogger could offer virtual styling consultations via Zoom
- A dog blogger could make an eBook to sell on behavioral aspects
- A tech blogger could offer templates for a certain tool or platform
- A food blogger could offer a course or workshop on cooking/baking
- A parenting blogger could provide educational printables
Paid training, digital downloads, coaching sessions, and even physical products are some ways in which you can begin earning money from your website without a massive readership.
Think about the problems your audience has and how you can help them to overcome them – this should be the foundation of anything you decide to sell.
Branding will make you look professional
Branding your blog is one of the most underrated pro blogging tips.
Branding is a great way to stand out from your competitors. It’ll help people to take notice of your site, and you can use your branding to create a cohesive look across all the platforms that you use, such as social media.
So, how can you brand your blog to look professional?
- Determine a color palette (normally 4-5 colors) that you will use consistently on your website
- Use this color palette within your logo
- Use Canva templates/branding boards to easily create a professional look
- Use your logo and color palette across social media, such as on Instagram posts and Pinterest Pins.
Want an EXTRA EASY way to create a blog logo?
Invest time in learning SEO
SEO is the key to increasing your blog views. If you haven’t already spent time contemplating SEO (search engine optimization), then begin today as it’s never too late to get started.
By using SEO strategies like finding low-competition keywords to rank for, you’re going to be able to get your blog posts on the first pages of Google search results.
There’s a lot to consider when it comes to SEO, but here are a few starting points:
- Make sure you’ve submitted your sitemap to Google Search Console
- Use an SEO plugin like Rankmath to help you optimize your posts and website for SEO
- Use a keyword research tool to find low-competition keywords that you can rank for – I use Keysearch as it’s affordable and easy to use
- Write original content that is valuable for your readers
- Use internal and external links within your blog posts
- Continually update blog posts (even those that are receiving no traffic) so that they have a better chance of increasing their search ranking
- Start getting organic backlinks to your website
- Conduct regular SEO audits
These are just a few pro blogging tips to get you started. SEO is an ongoing process so it’s something you should add to your weekly blog tasks.
Use blogging tools to enhance your workflow
Blogging tools will help you to improve your workflow so that you don’t get stuck with knowing what topics to write about or how to plan your content.
I use these 17 online blogging tools to assist with keyword research, generating topic ideas, planning, and more. Most of these are free to use so you can get started instantly with elevating your content creation, marketing, and graphics.
I hope these pro blogging tips are helpful. The main thing in taking your website to a professional level is consistency and effort.
If you put in the hard work, and stay focused, you’ll start to see your effort paying off.
For more pro blogging tips and advice, take a look at the blog where you’ll find further information on all things related to growing a website.