Are you feeling stressed out, or just in need of a break?
Then a self-care day may be the best things to help you recharge and reset. Whether you want to have the perfect self care day at home, or want to get some fresh air to rejuvenate yourself, I’ve got a self care day routine that will help you to feel refreshed and rejuvenated.
In this article, I’ll share some of my best tips for what to do on a self care day, including how to have a self care day filled with activities you love.
Below, you’ll also find a self care day schedule and checklist so that you can fully unwind and rest without worrying about burnout.
What Should Be Included On A Self Care Day? Self Care Day Ideas
If you’re stuck for ideas on what to include on a self care day, get inspired with this list.
Take a bubble bath
A warm bubble bath is a soothing and rejuvenating experience, helping to ease muscle tension and stress. Light a couple of candles or tea lights, add some of your favorite music and drift off.
Alternatively, you could also enjoy reading a book while you take a bath. Just make sure you use a bath tray so that your book doesn’t get soggy in the process.
Practice mindfulness meditation
Mindfulness meditation is a great technique for focusing on the present moment. If you find yourself getting easily anxious about things out of your control, then definitely give this a go.
I use this technique when I’m struggling with anxious periods and I find it very helpful for relaxation. Try this meditation as a starting point.
Get a massage
A massage helps to release muscle tension, improve circulation, and reduce stress. If you have a partner, ask them to give you a quick massage to help you unwind.
You’ll probably be able to find many local massage providers, and most massages are relatively affordable.
Go for a long walk in nature
Do you live near a local park? Spending time in nature is a good boost to your overall well-being. A long walk gives you plenty of time to destress and focus on the present moment.
A walk is also great exercise that doesn’t cost anything. A simple 30-minute walk is a brilliant exercise so don’t underestimate this self care day idea.
Yoga is another great form of exercise, combining stretching and breathing exercises. You don’t need to be physically fit to do yoga either. There are plenty of YouTube videos aimed at beginners.
One of my favorite channels is Yoga with Adrienne – she has several yoga routines that beginners can do and you only need 20 to 30 minutes out of your routine to do them.
Watch a movie
Watching a funny or feel-good movie is the perfect escape from the stresses of everyday life. Some good movies for your self care day include Bridesmaids, Pitch Perfect, Legally Blonde, and Step Up.
Take a day trip
If you’re looking for a self care day idea that lasts all day long, taking a day trip may be ideal for you. You get to explore a new place, gain a fresh perspective, and recharge.
You could visit a local lake, head to a tourist attraction in the next town, or visit an amusement arcade for some added fun.
Cook a healthy meal
Cooking a healthy meal can be a relaxing and creative experience that helps to nourish your body and mind.
You can cook your favorite meal with a healthy twist. For example, if you adore a hamburger and fries, why not try making a vegetable burger and sweet potato wedges from scratch?
Alternatively, you could try cooking something completely new to try fresh flavors.
Spend time with a pet
Spending time with a pet is a brilliant way to combat feelings of loneliness. If you don’t have a pet, ask a friend or family member if you can borrow theirs for a day.
Write in a journal
Journaling is an enriching experience that’s often overlooked. For self care, it’s a good way to express any deep feelings or emotions that you may have trouble expressing otherwise.
If you’re feeling low, try writing down things that you’re grateful for. Start with gratitude, and then explore some positive affirmations to help improve your mood. You may be surprised by how beneficial this exercise is.
Do a creative activity
Doing a creative activity like painting or drawing promotes self-expression and relaxation. You don’t require any fancy tools or equipment – you can simply begin with a couple of printable coloring pages and fill them in!
How do I Start A Self Care Day?
Starting a self care day can be as simple as setting aside time for yourself and prioritizing activities that promote your well-being.
Here are some steps to help you begin.
1. Block off time in your calendar – set aside a specific day in your calendar for your self care day. Make it a priority and treat it as you would any other important appointment so that you stick to it.
2. Choose your activities – decide which activities you want to do, whether that’s a full day activity or several that you can pack into one day.
3. Plan ahead – make any arrangements ahead of time, such as booking a massage or getting any supplies you may need like candles, bubble bath, paints etc.
4. Minimize distractions – When it comes to your self care day, consider turning off your phone and other electronic devices to create a quiet and peaceful environment.
5. Be present – fully immerse yourself in your chosen activities. Try not to let your mind wander to other things.
6. Listen to your body – pay attention to how your body is feeling. If you feel tired, take a nap or do a less physically demanding activity. If you’re feeling restless, go for a walk or do some form of exercise.
Self Care Day Quotes
Here are some quotes to keep you fully motivated and engaged in your self care day.
“Self care is not selfish. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.” – Eleanor Brown
“Taking care of yourself is the most powerful way to begin to take care of others.” – Bryant McGill
“Self care is how you take your power back.” – Lalah Delia
“The most powerful relationship you will ever have is the relationship with yourself.” – Steve Maraboli
“Self care is giving the world the best of you, instead of what’s left of you.” – Katie Reed
“Self care is not a luxury. It is a necessity.” – Unknown
“An empty lantern provides no light. Self care is the fuel that allows your light to shine brightly.” – Unknown
Self Care Day Checklist
Use this free checklist to prep and plan for your self care day.
- Set aside time for your self care day and make a note in your calendar.
- Choose your activities, such as taking a bubble bath, practicing yoga, or getting a massage.
- Gather anything you may need, such as bath salts, candles, or yoga mat.
- Create a peaceful environment, free of distractions. Turn off your phone and create a quiet and relaxing atmosphere.
- Plan your meals ahead of time to ensure that you’re nourishing your body with healthy foods and healthy habits.
- Block off time for rest and relaxation, such as taking a nap or reading a book.
- Practice mindfulness throughout the day, focusing on the present moment and fully immersing yourself in your chosen activities.
- Be kind to yourself and don’t feel guilty for taking time for yourself. Remember that self care is an essential part of maintaining your well-being.
- Reflect on your self care day and how it made you feel. Take note of which activities you enjoyed most and how you can incorporate more self care into your daily life.
Plan Your Self Care Day Now!
Taking a much-needed self care day is a powerful tool for promoting your physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
By taking care of yourself, you’re better able to take care of others and live a more fulfilling life. So, whether you’re feeling overwhelmed, stressed out, or just in need of a break, take some time for yourself and plan the perfect self care day. You deserve it!