Whether you’re new to makeup or a makeup enthusiast wanting to build your kit, knowing how to start a makeup collection and grow it, can be every beauty lover’s nightmare.
With so many options available, it can be overwhelming to know what to buy and what to skip – should you opt for more expensive products, go for budget buys, or mix a little of both?
In this guide, you’ll learn:
- How to start a makeup kit by learning the basic products you’ll need.
- What aspects to consider when building your collection
- Why your skin type matters when choosing makeup products to purchase
- The best makeup application tips for beginners
- How to have a glow up and become your best self
- 30 baddie nails ideas you’ll love
- Skincare routine steps for clear and healthy skin
- Dior Backstage Concealer review
Start A Makeup Collection With The Basics
Knowing what basic makeup products you need will help you to create a gorgeous base application, as well as provide the foundations for your kit.
Here, I’ll cover 3 things you should consider – products, skin tone, and coverage.
There are so many makeup products to choose from. Here are some of the most common ones:
- Concealer – used to cover up imperfections and dark circles under the eyes.
- Correcting concealer – corrects dullness, redness, dark spots, and other imperfections.
- Foundation – evens out skin tone and creates a base for the rest of your makeup.
- Mascara – enhances eyelashes and makes them appear longer and fuller.
- Blush – Adds color to the cheeks, creating a healthy glow.
- Lipstick – Adds color to the lips to complete your look.
- Liquid Eyeliner – creates a precise line on the upper lash line.
- Powder – sets foundation, often with a matte or satin finish.
- Lashes – boosts the length and volume of your natural lashes.
- Highlighter – gives a glow to the cheekbones, nose, and forehead.
- Bronzer – adds warmth and dimension to the face.
Understanding your skin tone is essential when it comes to choosing the right shades of makeup product. To determine your skin tone, here are some tips.
- Look at the veins on the inside of your wrist. If they appear blue, you have cool undertones. If they appear green, you have warm undertones. If you can’t tell, you may have neutral undertones.
- Consider the color of your eyes and hair. If you have blue or green eyes and blonde or brown hair, you may have cool undertones. If you have brown or hazel eyes and dark hair, you’re more likely to have warm undertones.
- Pay attention to how your skin reacts to the sun. If you burn easily and have pink or red undertones, then you may have cool undertones. If you tan easily and have yellow or golden undertones, it’s possible you have warm undertones.
The amount of coverage you want from your makeup can vary depending on your preferences and needs. Here are some options.
- BB Cream – provides light coverage, great for a natural, everyday look.
- Cream Foundation – generally offers medium to full coverage which is great for covering imperfections.
- Powder – usually delivers light to medium coverage and is ideal for setting foundation and creating a matte finish.
- Full Coverage Foundation – perfect for creating a flawless face and covering imperfections.
- Light or Sheer Foundation – ideal if you have few imperfections and want a breathable base.
Once you know your skin tone and preferences, it’s time to start a makeup collection.
Building Your Collection
When starting a makeup collection, think about the types of products you want to invest in. There may be some products that you enjoy using more than others.
Here are some of the best suggestions for starting and building your makeup collection.
Begin with the basics, such as a good quality foundation, concealer, and a few makeup brushes. As you become more comfortable with these products, you can gradually add more items to your kit.
Invest in quality products
Investing in quality products doesn’t mean you need to spend a lot of money. You can get high quality products from both the drugstore and designer brands.
Some top brands at both price points include ELF, Dior, Colourpop, Natasha Denona, and Loreal.
Organize your makeup bag
Organizing your makeup bag is essential to building a great collection.
Use a bag that is large enough to hold all of your products, and consider using compartments or dividers to keep everything organized. Label your products with their expiration dates so you know when to replace them.
Building a makeup collection takes time and patience. But by starting small, investing in quality products, and organizing your makeup bag, you’ll be on your way to creating a collection that works for you.
Makeup Trends and Techniques
Makeup trends and techniques will likely influence the cosmetics within your makeup collection. Here are some popular looks and products you’ll require to create them.
Creating a glam look
If you want to create a glamorous look, start with a flawless base.
Use a makeup primer to smooth out your skin and apply a natural looking foundation. Conceal any blemishes or dark circles with a concealer. Next, add a pop of color to your cheeks with a blush.
For your eyes, use a neutral eyeshadow as a base, then add a darker shade to the crease. Apply a winged eyeliner and finish off with a pair of false lashes. Finally, add a bold lip color to complete the look.
Achieving a natural look
For a natural look, start with a lightweight foundation or tinted moisturizer.
Use a concealer to cover any imperfections. Skip the blush and instead, use a bronzer to add warmth to your face.
For your eyes, use a neutral eyeshadow and apply a thin line of brown eyeliner. Finish off with a coat of mascara. Keep your lips natural with a nude or light pink shade.
Using highlighter and bronzer
Highlighter and bronzer are great makeup tools for adding dimension to your face.
Apply bronzer to the areas where the sun naturally hits your face, such as your forehead, cheeks, and nose. Use a highlighter on the high points of your face, such as your cheekbones and brow bone. Blend well to avoid any harsh or muddy lines.
You can use these two products within the same look, or you may wish to use them separately depending on the type of look you want to create.
Start Your Makeup Collection Today!
Starting a makeup collection is a fun process, but remember that it’s not about spending the most money – determine your needs and likes, as well as your skin tone before making a purchase.
Begin with the basics first, such as base products to even out your skin tone and provide coverage. From there, you can gradually build up your collection with cosmetic products like eyeshadows, lipsticks, and blushes.
Don’t feel like you need to have everything all at once. Take your time, enjoy the process, and have fun exploring the world of makeup!